Reducing poverty through essential technologies
The EssentialTech program aims to develop essential technologies that have the potential to reduce poverty and vulnerability. Its approach combines technology development with the elaboration of innovative business models for a sustainable and large-scale impact.
Contact: Dr. Klaus Schönenberger
In developing and emerging countries, the scarcity in quality infrastructure, in financial resources, in qualified personnel, together with extreme environmental conditions, create a challenging environment for technologies.
A methodology has been developed to meet these particular needs. It is based on five elements:
- Identification and understanding of needs for essential technologies
- Close collaboration with local partners
- Technology innovations and value chain adapted to the context
- Sustainable solutions through a viable business model
- Large-scale impact via entrepreneurship